Saturday, January 22, 2011

Mobile library services


I came across an interesting blog post from Tiffinianne about applying the punk rock ethic to mobile library services. She has a look at the research from Pew, what some libraries are already doing out there and also looks at the detractors. Tiffinianne recently presented one of her DIY projects at the ALA Midwinter in San Diego. (rock on!)

I am a big fan of libraries finding their own way when it comes to technology but...as Tiffinianne points out it can be quite difficult if the staff don't have the skill set to pull off what the want to achieve. They can end up spending way too much time with very little outcome.

You know what I want? I want a Trove app that I can put on my Droid phone. So if I am out somewhere (dinner, bookshop, etc) I can scan the barcode and Trove will let me know if my local libraries (yes, I have 4 library cards in my wallet) hold the book I want. Not too much to ask, is it? (and yes, I should really post that on their bulletin board, because how do they know what I'm thinking, Trove is awesome but they are not mind readers...yet)

-AB

No comments:

Post a Comment