Sunday, January 23, 2011

Library Day in the Life (of a school library)




Well, here goes my Library Day in the Life post. This week is sort of strange, so it won't really showcase how things are normally run around here, but that's how it goes. Due to training (and BDO) I'm only in my Library for one day this week, so this will truly be a Day In the Life.



To the left there is Palmer Bear, our Library's mascot. The girls just love to read to him. He's holding one of his (=my) favourite books.


Happy Library Day in the Life!




8:10am
Arrived at work a bit late this morning, the students are still away (they start back up next week) so today will mostly be an admin day. The new staff are at orientation on our other campus so this place will be a bit of a ghost town. But I have the AmLib 2011 Checklist to work through, the magazines that have piled up over the summer to accession and a Library Lovers Day display to create out of thin air. That should keep my busy.

10:21am
Hungry, is it morning tea time yet? AmLib checklist is done, well as much as I can do. I'll have to talk to our tech guru in the senior school library to find out what I'm meant to do and not meant to do. Can't go breaking the system my first week back.

12:24
Almost lunch time. How did that happen? Finished up my Library Lovers display. We are going to get the girls to add notes about what they love about their school library. We did that last year and ended up with a really wonderful display and some quotes were used in the school's newsletter. My favourite quote was 'when all else fails, the library doesn't', out of the mouths of babes, eh? We are updating our web site this year so I'm hoping to get some good quotes from the students that I can share on our page. I read about James Sheahan Catholic High School where they posted photos of the teachers' wedding photos in the library and students had to guess who each teacher was. That's a clever idea I thought, maybe next year.

2:30
The pile of periodicals is almost to a reasonable level, don't know that I'll make it to the new magazines this arvo, seeing as I'll be out of the Library the rest of the week and the kids would rather have the newest Diary of a Wimpy Kid over the newest Tennis Australia (and a girl can't accession everything, ya know?)

3:50
Almost time to go. (I finish up at 4 most days). Must remember that I wont be back until next week, don't forget the training manual for tomorrow and the 'problem periodical' to dicuss with the trainers.

4:00
Just got an email about the mentoring program I'm participating in at the ALIA Online Conference next week and I must say I'm SO STOKED! Looks like it will be a huge learning/networking opportunity for me. And the conference itself it going to be amazing. I hope I get a chance to meet Sarah Houghton-Jan at some point. She's giving one of the keynote speeches at the conference. But I digress.


I'm not going to be able to blog much for the rest of the week, unless anyone is interested in AmLib tips. Is it bad form to blog information from a training session? (yeah, probably)



-AB

(of course I forgot my camera at work and had to drive back to retrive it...ug)








1 comment:

  1. If you were at my school, you would be in luck because grade 6 lunch is at 10:38. Interesting to see what your day is like!

    ReplyDelete